Search My Blog

Sunday 1 September 2013

Palatine Hill, The Forum & Vittorio Emanuele II Monument

We took a trip to Palatine Hill and the Forum - mainly because it was free in the Colosseum ticket. 


To be honest I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it, it was a lot of walking in direct sunlight around ruins that you needed rather a good imagination to enjoy.


Some of the buildings were in a better condition but you couldn't go in them...


So I was rather pleased to leave and enjoy the street outside that was full of tat


We did notice that the Vittorio Emanuele  II Monument was right next door though so we took a little look round, it really was very impressive. 


And they had a tomb of the unknown soldier which was guarded. 


As nice as this all was there were other guards too that kept shouting at all the tourists for sitting down anywhere but on two benches, which I didn't really understand. One lady tried to eat a peach on one of these benches, she got doubly shouted at. 


At the top of the monument there was a good view out across Rome, you could take a lift to go higher but you had to pay and we didn't really care that much. 


And that's the view over the Colosseum and Palatine Hill. 


To read more about my holiday click the August tab on the right hand side and see my posts or click the "Rome" tag below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment