Search My Blog

Friday 6 April 2012

Jesus isn't the only thing rising this Easter...

I decided that after watching a Delia episode on baking bread I thought I'd try my luck at it. I hadn't ever made bread before because people with breadmakers had tricked me into thinking it'd be difficult. Also there are a lot of bread recipies online where you have to muck about with your yeast. Luckily, Delia says with her simple recipe "let's cut the crap and bake some tasty bread!"... Ok so she didn't exactly say that but I imagine that's what she would have said if she wasn't on TV.  My mum said she only made bread once, when she a was a little girl because there was a bread strike. I thought that sort of thing only happened in the reign of terror but there we are.


First I got all my ingredients - surprisingly few!


I was very interested in the yeast

I don't know exactly what it's made of but it looked rather interesting. Next I seived all my ingredients in a big bowl together and mixed them all around, no faffing about with putting the yeast one side etc etc


Then I dug a little well and added warm water


Gave it a little stir


Then I squidged it with my hands


Then I kneaded it for a bit and then left it in a bowl covered in cling film for two hours


And when I came back it had grown!



How exciting!! Then I knocked out the air and kneaded some more, then divided it into two loaf pans



Then I left these for an hour then put them in the oven for about 35 minutes... and out came my bread!


Hurrah!


Then time for a taste test


Yummerz. Here's the recipe if you fancy some of your own tasty tasty bread Take me to the bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment